Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Crohn's Disease
What is crohn's disease?
Crohn’s disease is when the digestive tract is inflamed for a long time. It can affect any part of the digestive tract. It can affect the thickness of the intestines.
Healthy bowels have a normal lining and normal walls.
Crohn's disease has cobblestone like lining and thickened walls.
What are possible causes?
- Autoimmune response
- Certain medications
- High fat diet
What are some symptoms?
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
- Joint pain
What to do?
- Eat small, more frequent meals every 3-4 hours
- Drink at least 8 cups of water
- Limit caffeine and sugary drinks
- If there are symptoms: choose low fiber foods
- If there are no symptoms: eat fiber
- May need a multivitamin supplement
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- Overview of Crohn's Disease. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. https://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-is-crohns-disease/overview. Accessed December 4, 2020.
- Symptoms & Causes of Crohn’s Disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/crohns-disease/symptoms-causes. Published September 2017. Accessed December 9, 2020.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed December 12, 2020.