What is high cholesterol?
High cholesterol is when you have too much cholesterol. Extra cholesterol builds up inside your arteries. Eventually it will grow and block blood flow.
What are possible causes?
- Lack of physical activity
- Unhealthy diet
What are some symptoms?
- There are no symptoms
What to do?
- Choose a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains
- Choose more plant based protein and less meat
- Choose healthy fats
- Limit unhealthy fats
- Limit refined foods
- Limit alcohol
- Regular physical activity
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- High Cholesterol: Prevention, Treatment and Research. John Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/high-cholesterol/high-cholesterol-prevention-treatment-and-research. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Healthwise Staff. Lipid Panel. Michigan Medicine University of Michigan. https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/tr6155. Updated December 15, 2019. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Causes of High Cholesterol. heart.org. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/cholesterol/causes-of-high-cholesterol. Updated November 6, 2020. Accessed December 9 2020.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed December 12, 2020.