High Blood Pressure
What is high blood pressure?
High blood pressure is called hypertension. Blood pressure is the amount of pressure your blood presses on your arterial wall. Arteries are like roads for your blood to travel in your body. High blood pressure is when the amount of force is higher than normal. It puts more stress and your heart will have to work harder.
Heart pumping normally and blood flows easily.
Heart pumping harder and blood does not flow easily.
What are possible causes?
High blood pressure happens over time
- Lack of physical activity
- Unhealthy eating
What are some symptoms?
- There are no symptoms
What to do?
- Limit salt
- Choose healthy fats
- Follow the DASH diet
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension). Michigan Medicine University of Michigan. https://www.uofmhealth.org/conditions-treatments/hypertension. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- High Blood Pressure Symptoms and Cause. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/about.htm. Updated May 19, 2020. Accessed December 9, 2020.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed December 12, 2020.