What is hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is when the thyroid is underactive. It does not make enough hormones.
What are possible causes?
- Removal of part or all of the thyroid
- Inflammation of thyroid
- Hashimoto's disease
What are some symptoms?
- Slowed heart rate
- Thinning hair
- Weight gain
- Joint pain
- Dry skin
What to do?
- Choose a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Eat a consistent amount of carbohydrates
- Regular physical activity
- Avoid too much iodine
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- How does the thyroid gland work? NCBI. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279388/. Published November 17, 2010. Updated April 19, 2018. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Healthwise Staff. Thyroid Hormone Production and Function. Michigan Medicine University of Michigan. https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/ug1836. Updated date July 28, 2019. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Robert M. Sagis. How Your Thyroid Works. endocrineweb. https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/how-your-thyroid-works. Updated October 21, 2019. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/hypothyroidism. Published August 2016. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Thyroid Disease and Diet - Nutrition Plays a Part in Maintaining Thyroid Health. Today's Dietitian. https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/070112p40.shtml. Published July 2012. Accessed January 20, 2021.
- Publishing HH. Healthy eating for a healthy thyroid. Harvard Health. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/healthy-eating-for-a-healty-thyroid. Published January 2017. Updated November 17, 2017. Accessed January 24, 2021.