Irritable Bowel Syndrome
What is irritable bowel syndrome?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is when the large intestines experience a group of symptoms. They usually happen at the same time. IBS lasts for a long time. Making changes in food, stress, and lifestyle can control the symptoms.
What are possible causes?
- Stressful early life events
- Bacterial overgrowth
- Bacterial infection
- Food intolerances
What are some symptoms?
- Stomach pain
What to do?
- Limit fatty foods
- Slowly add fiber
- Reduce stress
- Drink at least 8 cups of water
- May benefit from following a low FODMAP diet
- Avoid foods that worsen the symptoms
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/irritable-bowel-syndrome/definition-facts. Published November 2017. Accessed December 4, 2020.
- Symptoms & Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/irritable-bowel-syndrome/symptoms-causes. Published November 2017. Accessed December 9, 2020.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed December 12, 2020.