What is pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis is when the pancreas is inflamed. Its job is to release digestive enzymes into the small intestine for food digestion. The pancreas becomes inflamed when digestive enzymes build up inside the pancreas.
Enzymes from the pancreas are released into the small intestines to break down food.
Enzymes build up inside the pancreas and can breakdown the pancreas.
What are possible causes?
- High levels of blood fats (lipids)
- Blockage of pancreatic duct
- Certain medication
- Heavy alcohol use
- Pancreatic cancer
What are some symptoms?
- Stomach pain worsens after eating
- Oily, smelly poop
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
What to do?
- Choose a variety of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein
- Choose low fat foods and drinks
- Avoid alcholol
- Consult a doctor or dietitian before making big changes
- Pancreatitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/pancreatitis/definition-facts. Published November 2017. Accessed December 4, 2020.
- Pancreatitis. Columbia | surgery. https://columbiasurgery.org/conditions-and-treatments/pancreatitis. Accessed December 4, 2020.
- Symptoms & Causes of Pancreatitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/pancreatitis/symptoms-causes. Published November 2017. Accessed December 9, 2020.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed December 12, 2020.